Hugo Chetcuti’s condition is stable but businessman still in intensive care

Paceville entertainment impresario Hugo Chetcuti is recovering slowly after being knifed by a former employee who was dismissed some eight months ago from one of his establishments • Spokesperson says there was no evident animosity at time of dismissal

Hugo Chetcuti
Hugo Chetcuti

Hugo Chetcuti is stable and recovering slowly but is still in intensive care at hospital after being stabbed on Friday night, a spokesperson for the entrepreneur said this morning.

Chetcuti was stabbed by a former employee at a new seafood establishment he owns in Paceville.

He was admitted to hospital suffering from critical injuries. A spokesperson for the Hugo Group told MaltaToday on Wednesday that Chetcuti was in a stable condition and "recovering slowly".

Bojan Cmelik, 35, has been charged with the attempted murder. Chetcuti is understood to have told police that he was stabbed while embracing the accused at the Seafood and Cocktail establishment on Santa Rita steps.

The spokesperson for the company said Cmelik had been dismissed some seven to eight months ago by one of the outlet managers.

“He left without any argument or evident animosity toward the outlet manager who had taken the decision to relieve him of his duties,” the spokesperson said, adding Chetcuti had no involvement with the termination.

Police sources have told MaltaToday that Cmelik was seen attempting to hide his face with a hat before stabbing Chetcuti.

Cmelik was arraigned before Magistrate Neville Camilleri on Saturday afternoon. He pleaded not guilty to charges of attempted murder and his lawyer did not ask for bail.

Chetcuti owns a substantial portion of Paceville real estate with his hotel, clubs and restaurants which carry his signature ‘Hugo’s’ brand.

More in National

Get access to the real stories first with the digital edition

Subscribe